Happy Friday, I just painted my toes, put on self tanning oil and snuggled in bed. I’ve been using Golden Star Beauty tanning oil for over a month now, so I decided to write a post and share my opinion about it, as well as some self tanning tips for fair skin.
Funny fact: before I started this blog, I asked my friends for blog posts ideas and tips they would like to read. My friend, Moni, suggested that I write a post with self tanning tips, since I have a fair skin and always use different products.My answer was that I would love to read a post with self tanning tips too, but I can’t write one because my tan always gets orange and streaky. The only way to get a nice natural tan for me was air brush spray tan. As ironic as this is, about a week later Golden Star Beauty reached out offering to send me self tanning products to review and totally changed my opinion about self tanning.
Golden Star Beauty
At first, I was very skeptical about trying a new self tanning product, but after doing a research about the company I decided to give it a try. What got me, was that the products are organic and made out of natural oils. I had tried so many different tanning products, but never anything organic. My skin is very pale with a pink undertone, so most of the products my friends use and love don’t work for me. First, I tested Golden Star Beauty tanning oil on a small area. I didn’t see any horrifying results the next day, so I applied it on my whole body. The results are amazing! Just a good as an airbrush spray tan! They sent us very specific instructions on how to apply the product in order to get the perfect tan, and I decided to share some of them with you!
- Make sure the product you use gives you a gradual tan, not instant. I apply Golden Star Beauty tanning oil 3 times to get the desired color.
- Don’t rush! Give yourself enough time to apply the product. Take your time and apply it evenly.
- Apply the self tanning lotion at night before you go to bed. Wear something loose in bed. If you put tight clothes on, you might mess it up. Also, I am sure you don’t want to get any tanning product on your clothes! Also, we sweat less at night and sweat can affect the color.
- Allow enough time for the product to dry before putting your clothes on. Golden Star Beauty dries out very fast. I usually only wait about 5-10 minutes, just to be safe.
- Avoid deodorant and perfume. Another reason why it is better to apply at night!
- Spray on oil products work better than lotion. Golden start beauty was the first oil product I tried and the consistency makes it so much easier to apply!
- Don’t apply too much product. This is one of the biggest mistakes anyone can make. The more product you apply, the more streaky and uneven it will get. Remember, it is gradual, so it will become darker after you apply more the next day.
- Use a glove for application. I used to always apply self tanner with my bare hands. No matter how much I washed my hands, my palms were always orange. The glove also helps to apply the product more even.
- Wash your hands. After you are finished applying the self tanner on your body, use soap to wash off the product from your hands. Apply a very little amount of your hand after and make sure to spread it out evenly. Same applies to your feet.
- Use a tan extender lotion. We all know that keeping your skin moisturized helps the self tanning product to stay on longer. I used to use regular moisturizers, but I realized this was a big mistake. Depending on the content of the lotion you use, it might be removing your tan, instead of helping it stay longer.
I usually apply the product 3 nights in a row. In the mornings I apply the tan extender lotion. I shower in the morning and at night. Golden Star Beauty products are organic, gluten free, paragon free, cruelty free, and vegan. All this is great, but my favorite part is the smell! Unlike other products that smell like chemicals, this smells amazing! Check out their website for more info!
Were these self tanning tips helpful? Let me know your tricks and favorite products in the comments below!
August 2019 Update: I’ve been using Golden Star beauty products for over a year now and they are still my go to! The tanning oil is my absolute favorite for building gradual tan. To keep my tan longer I use the tan extender during the day and the tanning lotion at night. I definitely recommend these to prevent your tan from getting streaky, especially if you live somewhere where the climate is more dry